1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from Gourmet Magazine, April 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces and softened, plus additional for buttering pans
- 650.62 ml cake flour (not self-rising)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 6.16 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 354.88 ml packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
- 7.39 ml pure vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml sour cream
- 177.44 ml pecans, toasted, cooled, and finely chopped (3 ounces)
- 1Make cake:.
- 2Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F
- 3Butter and flour cake pans, knocking out excess flour.
- 4Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into a large bowl.
- 5Beat together butter (1 1/2 sticks) and brown sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer (fitted with paddle attachment if using a stand mixer) at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
- 7Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and sour cream alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until batter is just smooth.
- 8Mix in pecans until just combined.
- 9Spoon batter evenly into pans, smoothing tops, then rap pans once or twice to expel any air bubbles.
- 10Bake until pale golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 11Cool 10 minutes in pans on racks.
- 12Run a thin knife around edge of pans, then invert racks over pans and reinvert cakes onto racks to cool completely.
- 13Make frosting:.
- 14Beat together cream cheese, butter, and zest in a bowl with clean beaters at medium-high speed until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 15Sift in confectioners sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined, then add lemon juice and beat at medium-high speed until frosting is smooth.
- 16Assemble and frost cake:.
- 17Halve each cake layer horizontally with a long serrated knife using a gentle sawing motion.
- 18Put 1 layer, cut side up, on a cake stand or large plate and spread with about 3/4 cup frosting.
- 19Stack remaining cake layers, spreading about 3/4 cup frosting on each layer and ending with top cake layer cut side down.
- 20Spread top and side of cake with remaining frosting (about 3 1/2 cups) and coat side of cake with pecans (1 1/3 cups), gently pressing to help them adhere.
- 21****Cook time does not include toasting the pecans or allowing cake to cool before frosting.
- 22Cooks' notes:.
- 23• Cake layers (not split) can be kept, wrapped individually in plastic wrap and placed in large sealed plastic bags, chilled 1 day or frozen 1 week. If frozen, thaw in bags at room temperature, about 2 hours.
- 24• Frosting can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature, then stir until smooth before using.
- 25• Cake can be assembled and frosted 8 hours ahead, then kept, loosely covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pecan Spice Layer Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.5
- Calories from Fat 692
- Total Fat 76.9 g
- Saturated Fat 38.9 g
- Cholesterol 226.6 mg
- Sodium 631.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 77.4 g
- Protein 13.6 g