Recipe by Lennie
I have not made this (yet), but it is here for all who want to try it. It sounds to-die-for!
Top Review by bratty
this is the first recipe i am reviewing that i actually have not tried myself. i made it for my dad's birthday. i don't care for nuts or coconut, so i didn't eat any. but it got lots of great compliments, and people requesting the recipe. it comes off looking like it's a fancy smancy recipe, and you had to put a lot of effort into it, but really it's not hard at all. it's not too much trouble when you consider the result is such an impressive cake.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix (plus ingredients as label directs)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
Coconut Pecan Filling
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
Luscious Chocolate Frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- First, make cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix as package directs; stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into the 2 pans; bake as directed on pkg.
- Cool on wire racks 10 minutes; then remove from pans and cool completely.
- While cake is baking you can make the filling and the frosting.
- Coconut-Pecan Filling: In saucepan, mix corn syrup, sugar, milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, 10-12 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool until thick and spreadable; makes 2-1/4 cups.
- Next, make Luscious Chocolate Frosting.
- In bowl, beat cream cheese, corn syrup and butter until creamy.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until frosting is of spreading consistency; makes 1-1/3 cups.
- Now assemble cake.
- When cake is cool, split layers horizontally in half.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1/3 of Coconut-Pecan Filling.
- Top with 2nd cake layer; spread with about 2/3 cup Luscious Chocolate Frosting.
- Top with 3rd cake layer; spread with 1/3 of filling.
- Top with 4th cake layer.
- Frost side of cake with remaining frosting; spread top of cake with remaining filling.
- Yes, frosting on the side and filling on top.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.