Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the December (I think) 2009 issue of Real Simple. These were a big hit over the holidays and I don't want to lose this recipe. I haven't tried this part, but the recipe says "Instead of refrigerating the balls of dough, freeze them on the baking sheet before storing them in bags for up to 2 months. To bake, follow the instructions, baking from frozen, and use the upper end of the time range." I'll be trying this for sure! Cooking time included refrigeration time.
- Heat oven to 350°F Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes. Let cool and roughly chop.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts and salt. Gradually add the flour, mixing until just incorporated. Mix in the pecans.
- Shape the dough into tablespoon-size balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Transfer half the balls to a second parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until lightly golden, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Toss the warm cookies in the sugar and return to the baking sheet. Sift the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over the cookies before serving (I skipped this step).