Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Source: River Road Recipes II This is a very rich and delicious pastry. I'm not much into sweets and there are only a few desserts I love, this being one of them.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut (I use unsweetened)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Mix to a paste the flour and butter.
- Press on bottom of buttered 9x9" square pan.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees F, until a very light brown.
- While crust is baking, mix filling ingredients in order given above.
- Pour this filling on the baked crust and again, bake at 350 degrees F, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- When cool, spread the icing.
- Mix icing ingredients-- I personally cut the sugar for the icing in half as it's too sweet for my taste; I suggest you mix 3/4 cup powdered sugar first and taste if you wish to add more.
- Spread on torte.
- Sprinkle top with nuts.
- Let this cool in the pan you baked it in-- wait until its completely cool before cutting (refrigerate to make it faster).
- Cut in small squares to serve as it is very rich and delicious.