Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 3 dozen cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the sugar, flour, baking powder, toffee bits and then pecans - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- PECAN SANDIES COOKIES GIFT TAG:.
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1 cup butter, softened, 2 egg yolks and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl, blend the butter, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Made this up in jar - it is easily layered and looks great. Guess you could say I gifted myself as made up the cookies as trial run ... and yes they are indeed gift worthy. Thank you Rose - have added it to my Holiday Cookbook.
Made for Aus/NZ Twelve Days of Christmas Recipe Swap. I didn't make these for a gift, but as an addition to my dozens of Christmas cookies. These run a real close second to the real thing - in other words they were wonderful. I was able to make these gluten free using my gluten free cookie flour mix (soon to be posted). Thanks for posting this recipe Mom2Rose.