Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
I like to serve this with pork tenderloin, but works just as well with any meal.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb pecans
- 1 head lettuce, torn into bite size pieces (your choice -- I prefer to mix Romaine & Leaf)
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese (broken into tiny pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 -2 apple, chopped (again your choice, I like granny smith)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Make the pecans in advance: In a pot bring to a boil the margarine, corn syrup,water& salt.
- Turn off heat, dump in the pecans, stir to coat.
- Pour nuts on a foil lined cookie sheet, spreading them out.
- Bake at 200 degrees for about 35-45 minutes.
- Stir a few times as they bake.
- Be careful not to overbake them.
- Let cool completely.
- For the dressing: Combine the vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and maple syrup.
- Mix, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Salad: Combine in a large bowl, lettuce, blue cheese, green onions and apples.
- When ready to serve, add pecans and just before serving add dressing.
If I could, I would give this 10 stars! This is one of the best salads I have every eaten!! Did make a mistake and added feta cheese instead of blue, but the family said it didn't matter, that it was still outstanding. Served with #48683 ribs and what a meal. Good enough for a gourmet restaurant!!
Need something different but very delicious for these hot summer evenings when you don't even feel like eating? This is it!! I made this salad using iceburg lettuce and red delicious apples. Served it with leftover barbequed chicken. This is a crunchy, cool, delicious salad! I'll be making it again. Thanks for sharing.
The Pecans are excellent, although, I added some maple syrup and 5 spice powder to give them a little kick. I was very dissapointed in the dressing, it was flat, not a lot of flavor. The combination of the rest of the salad was nice.