Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This uses a yellow cake mix and vanilla pudding. This cake will look as if you slaved for hours to make it...=)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease well a bundt cake pan.
- Dust well with flour or cocoa.
- Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan.
- Mix cake ingredients together.
- Pour batter over pecans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Be sure you have the glaze hot and ready when cake comes out of the oven as both must be hot.
- Glaze: Put all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat until boiling.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- No longer.
- Pour glaze around the outside edges of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Let stand for 20 minutes and remove from pan.
I used this basic recipe with 2 improvisions....vodka instead of rum, and pistachio pudding mix instead of vanilla. It made a beautiful cake with a rich pound-cake texture and was delicious!
This was a great cake. My husband and son loved it, especially the glaze. I made two changes. The first change was to use 1 cup of hazelnuts and mix them into the batter and the second change was the type of rum I used. I used some amazing Hazelnut Rum by Rouge. Rouge makes great beer and if you go to their brewery in Oregon, you can buy distilled spirits there. (Rum, Gin and a few others.) This rum gave the cake a "warm" taste and no to much of an alcohol flavor that you sometimes get from other rum cakes. I will be making this again.
I'm giving it 5 stars because my husband, who RARELY eats cake, loved it. I thought it was a bit too much alcohol for my taste.