Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice with Cornish hens and other poultry from "Soup to Nuts." The hen recipe in that cookbook is for 8 roasted buttered hens (375 degrees for 45 minutes stuffed with this rice if you like) and meanwhile bring 2 cups apple juice to a boil in a saucepan for 20 minutes. Reduce it to a cup and add 1-3 tsp. honey and 1-3 tsp. Dijon mustard to the juice and spoon over the 8 hens. I like the way the cumin and curry sound with the raisins and nuts. Haven't tried it yet. I don't like stuffing or rice cooked in the bird so for me this will be served on the side!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken bouillon
- 3 scallions, with tops, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Heat butter, curry powder, and cumin in a large heavy saucepan.
- Add rice and cook over medium heat, stirring until coated.
- Add bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in green onion, raisins and nuts.
- You can use this to stuff chicken, Cornish hen, etc. (I don't like stuffing cooked in the bird personally.).