Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Light as a cloud and heavenly cookie!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (5-8 minutes).
- Fold in vanilla and pecans.
- Drop by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Store in airtight container.
I think the problem isn't with the brown sugar but with the directions, in all of the meringue recipes that I have you add the sugar one Tablespoon at a time. If it is added to quickly the meringue will fall. Give it a try and see it that help.
The brown sugar appears to be a problem, as I had lovely peaks until I had added about 1/2 of the sugar. The whites just collapsed, and cookies spread far too much. Taste is fine, the flavor is almost like maple syrup, but these cookies are not up to standard for a meringue. I might try again with part white sugar.
These are so yummy! Light and delicious! I couldn't get the egg whites to stiffen up after I added the brown sugar. I think my mixer might be the problem. Even with that problem, they turned out great! I just cooked them for less time. Thanks for a tasty recipe!