Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe while reading "Cakes by Dana - Fill In the Cake" blog. "Really simple and super yummy and totally bad for you!"
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Butter Cream Icing
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- -Pecan Pralines-.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add sugar to the saucepan and stir frequently (do NOT use a plastic spoon, use a wire whisk). Stir until completely melted and resembles an amber color.
- Add in pecans and continue to stir mixture until the sugar is hot and bubbly (do NOT use a whisk for this part, use a metal spoon).
- On parchment paper, spread out the pecan mixture and let cool completely.
- Break pecans into pieces and place into a food processor. Process until it resembles brown sugar (slightly moist, but not pasty).
- -Butter Cream Icing-.
- Add a dash of salt to the egg whites and beat for 30 seconds.
- Place the whites over a double broiler and add sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently whip the mixture with a whisk until the egg whites no longer feel grainy when rubbed between your fingertips.
- Whip mixture on medium high until bowl is cool to the touch.
- Cut up the cold, but not hard, butter, and slowly add it to the meringue.
- Mix butter into meringue on medium-high with cake mixer. Keep mixing until you hear a "slapping" sound. This is when the butter cream is ready.
- Add vanilla.