Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a special dish to me because it makes my family say 'Mmmmmm'. It is often requested at holidays, special occasions and once instead of Birthday cake. This dish is sweet, rich and has amazing texture.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 cups French bread cubes (Fresh or day old is fine)
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup irish cream (Bailey's or similar)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon heaping cornstarch
- Heat Oven to 300 degrees.
- Butter a 9"x13" glass baking pan.
- To prepare Custard:.
- Whisk custard ingredients until well combined. Add in Bread and let soak while you make the topping.
- To prepare Topping:.
- Mix ingredients until crumbly and butter is incorporated throughout.
- To assemble:.
- Pour Custard Mixture into Buttered pan. Spread Topping Mixture evenly over Custard.
- Bake 45 minute @ 300 degrees. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15 minute It should look puffed up and test done. Let set for 10-15 minute before serving.
- To prepare Irish Cream Sauce:.
- In a saucepan over medium heat stir & dissolve Sugar into Cream. Add the Irish Cream, raise heat and bring to low boil. Let boil 2-3 minute to burn off alcohol. Make a slurry by adding the Milk & Corn Starch together & stirring util completely dissolved. Lower heat, add slurry, return to boil & stir constantly. Let thicken until spoon is coated and a nice sauce consistency. Remove from heat & cover until ready to serve. Yield: serves 12.
- Serve sauce over pudding as desired.
Not your Grandma's bread pudding! Totally awesome and decadent! I used King's Hawaiian bread and didn't dry it out in advance. The sauce is also delicious. I used Ryan's Irish cream, much more economical than Bailey's considering it's being used in a recipe. I'm giving this 5 stars, but they're not showing up on my review... fyi.
This is delicious!! I didn't actually make my own, but, I enjoyed a slice from the creator of this recipe. It's very, very good, and i'm not a big fan of bread-pudding. MMmmm good!
One word....AWESOME !!!!