A nice updated version of old-fachioned, southern-fried cornmeal mush. Flavored cornmeal mixed with pecans, cut into rounds and sauteed. A nice change of pace from rice or potatoes; goes nicely with chicken, turkey, beans or chile.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat; saute the pecans until lightly browned.
- 2Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In a saucepan, combine chicken stock, butter, nutmeg, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 4Pour cornmeal into boiling stock with one hand while whisking mixture with the other.
- 5When it's all in, turn the heat down to low and cook until thick (10-15 minutes).
- 6Remove from heat and mix in pecans.
- 7Line a 12" baking pan with wax paper and spread polenta evenly in pan; allow to cool completely.
- 8With a 2-2 1/2" cookie or buscuit cutter, cut polenta into rounds.
- 9Carefully remove from pan with a spatula and saute in oil (starting with 2 tablespoons in pan and adding the rest as needed) until lightly browned on both sides.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pecan Polenta Rounds (sauteed Corn Cakes)
Serving Size: 1 (892 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.5 mg
- Sodium 88.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g