Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The surprise is a big bite of pecan pie! I usually use frozen pecan pie singles (Edwards), but you can also take homemade prepared pecan pie and freeze a couple of slices for the muffins.
- 3 slices pecan pie, frozen
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Cut each frozen pie single into 4 chunks. Place one frozen pie chunk in each muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg mixture; stir just until blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, covering pecan pie chunks. Stir together topping ingredients (sugar and cinnamon) and sprinkle evenly over muffin tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes; remove from muffin tins.