Recipe by godbreathed01
Have long looked for a pecan pie recipe that doesn't contain corn syrup. Have tried several, and this rises to the top. It was submitted to AllRecipes by Elaine Helms. Not as cloyingly sweet as most pecan pies, and readily adaptable for personal preferences and modifications. I have listed her ingredients, then my substitutions for a lighter (lol) version that doesn't seem to sacrifice anything! Hope that you enjoy. If you start at the top of the ingredients (after crust) then you can blend them all in one bowl. I use a whisk, but you can use mixer just as well. With modifications this recipe will work well for a variety of specialty diets- diabetic, low carb, gluten free (use rice flour), omit crust altogether, vegetarian. Change flavors, nuts, add chocolate, coconut. Simply have fun!
Top Review by RealFoodie2
I have been using this recipe (via allrecipes.com) for over a decade. Pecan pie is my husband's favorite pie, yet the corn syrup always ended up giving him a sore throat. When I found this, he was elated= no more sore throat. This recipe is the only one we use now for Pecan pie and it is equally as scrumptious as the other "top" pecan pie recipes.
- 1 (8 -9 inch) pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup butter (smart balance)
- 1 cup brown sugar (Whey Low)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar (whey low)
- 2 large eggs (1/2C egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional) or 2 tablespoons brandy (optional) or 2 tablespoons Bourbon (optional) or 2 tablespoons bailey's irish cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in micro-safe bowl.
- Blend in both sugars.
- Add eggs and beat in until foamy.
- Add milk and blend in well.
- Add vanilla (and alcohol if using).
- Add flour and blend completely.
- Beat together for about 1-2 minutes until sugar no longer grainy. (Test by pinching a little of the batter and rubbing between finger and thumb. If still grainy add another 1-2 tsp milk beating until sugars are dissolved).
- Stir in pecans until well coated. If energetic arrange pecans in nice pattern on top after pouring into pie crust.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven. (I always cover crusts with crust protector or foil to avoid burning).
- Pie will be done when nuts appear browned and filling is rising. It will sink as filling cools.
- Enjoy alone or with cream or ice cream or :-).