Recipe by Claire #3
This is a variation on the bourbon pecan pie from a book called Cookwise. Note: the butter and salt are added in two parts so read the directions carefully. This pie bakes up high with a rich, velvety custard. It's worth the extra steps!
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons water, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Roast the pecan pieces on a baking sheet in the center of the oven for 8 minutes.
- While the pecans are hot, stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Boil 1 cup corn syrup, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons butter, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium size, heavy saucepan on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Stir together the arrowroot and water in a small bowl.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Stir this mixture well into the hot syrup.
- Stir the eggs and egg yolks together in a large bowl, then stir the hot syrup in a little at a time.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces over prebaked crust.
- Pour the filling over the pecans and bake in the lower third of the oven for 35 minutes.