Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are so amazingly delicious! I make them at Thanksgiving each year and even though they are so rich, they go very quickly. The secret to the great flavor is toasting the pecans - it makes a huge difference.
- Chop the pecans in a food processor.
- Roast in a jelly roll pan in 350 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Watch carefully do not let burn.
- Take out and let cool.
- Whiz the next four ingredients in a food processor until it forms small lumps.
- Spread into a 13 by 9 inch pan and press into an even layer with a spatula (or your fingers).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until it is just starting to color, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the brown sugar, honey and cream.
- Simmer for a minute and stir in the nuts.
- Pour over the hot shortbread base and return to the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
I had some issues with this recipe, and I think it's mainly because I tried to halve it. The amounts just weren't quite right, I don't think, and it took a lot longer to bake that what I thought it would. It turned out kind of soupy, and the crust was falling apart. The flavor was good, but they weren't really "bars" - the only way to eat them was in a bowl with a spoon. I will probably try to make them again using the full recipe to see if I get better results.
Very good bars. My family really enjoyed them. Thanks!
These are delicious treats that are fairly simple to make. Just be sure you keep a close eye on the butter/sugar mixture because if it cooks too long you will have toffee instead of pie. (I made this discovery by answering the phone while this was cooking - LOL!) This is a great dessert for holidays or guests. Thank you for sharing your yummy recipe with us Ma Hiker!