Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
As delicious as pecan pie.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package butter recipe cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9 inch pan.
- Reserve 2/3 cup of the dry cake mix for filling.
- In large bowl, combine remaining dry cake mix, margarine and 1 egg at low speed until well blended.
- Press in bottom of greased pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- In large bowl, combine reserved 2/3 cup dry cake mix, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and 3 eggs at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 1 minute at medium speed or until well blended.
- Pour filling mixture over warm base; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool completely, cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.
okay, made this for Thanksgiving, and wasnt very fond of it. I followed the recipe to a "T" and wasnt very impressed. They were very crumbly, and hard to get outta the pan. Sorry!
Thankyou for posting this. My ex-MIL used to make these and they are DIVINE, not cheap to make but well worth it. I always line my baking dish with foil when I make something like this. It saves the pan from being destroyed and my aggravation level is much decreased.
carolinafan is correct when she states this is as delicious as pecan pie. This same recipe called Pecan Pie Surprise Bars was the Pillsbury Bake-OffÂ® Grand Prize Winner in 1971. They were a hit at a dessert bar last night at a fund raiser.