Recipe by Julie*
I have made these numerous times and have been asked for the recipe every time I have made them. They are one of the best things I have ever had and they freeze beautifully.
Top Review by elaine926
Some people are saying that the HONEY in this recipe is too strong.....let me say that AT FIRST, it is strong when pulled out of the oven, but give it a few hours and somehow the honey-taste blends in and smooths beautifullly into the other flavors and the over-powering taste of it is gone and it completely transcends into absolute deliciousness!
This recipe is becoming a real regular at our Veteran's Hospital where we hold events, as well as for other occasions too. The SECRET is to make it a day before or at least a few hours so the honey can calm down...OR bake a ton of it, cut them into squares and freeze them...they defrost very nicely and are WONDERFUL!!!!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cream (I use MILK)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Shortbread base: mix above ingredients together until mixture is crumbly.
- Pat crumbs into a lightly-greased 13x9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
- While this is baking, prepare filling.
- Filling: melt butter over low heat in small saucepan.
- Once melted, stir in remaining ingredients except for pecans.
- Simmer over low heat for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture over hot crust and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes until center is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into bars when cool.