Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe from Cook's Illustrated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped into small pieces
- Make a partially baked pie crust.
- Melt butter in a medium heatproof bowl and set in a skillet or water maintained at just below a simmer.
- Remove the bowl, stir in sgar and salt with a wooden spoon until the butter is absorbed.
- Beat in eggs, then the corn syrup and vanilla.
- Return bowl to water; stir until the mixture is shiny and hot to the touch (about 130 degrees).
- Remove from heat, stir in the pecans.
- As soon as the pie shell comes out of the oven, decrease temperature to 275. Pour pecan mixture into hot shell.
- Bake on the middle rack until the pie looks set but soft, like gelatin, when gently pressed with the back of a spoon, 50 - 60 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
This is an awesome recipe. I made it last year for Christmas. Unfortunately, I did not cook it long enough and it was runny. However, my DH loved the taste so much that he was standing fork ready when I baked it again. This time it set up well.