Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great way to use fall fruit! This is lovely with an icing sugar glaze. Serve as a breakfast bread or toasted with vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine the sugar and oil in a large bowl and beat well with an electric mixer for best results.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat into the sour cream mixture in 2 lots.
- Stir in pears, pecans and lemon peel.
- Scrape into loaf pan and level off the top.
- Bake for 1 hour and test with a toothpick in the center.
- If done, remove and let cool on a rack for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and cool completly.
Wow, Auntie Di!! You made my house smell like a bakery with this recipe of yours. This is SOOOOO GOOD - "addictive" is the word!! I made this a few days back. I substituted the oil with butter and the sour cream with low-fat plain yogurt(beaten). Since I do not have nutmeg, I doubled the quantity of cinnamon and it went well. I did leave out the lemon rind though, since, at my place, nobody would have anything with any rind in it. I did add a handful of raisins to this. Karen Wilson, my adorable friend from RAK, sent me a packet of chopped pecans that found their way into this bread! Thanks so much for sharing this moist and yummy bread.
This is to die for! I had some pears to use up and decided to try it. I made it exactly as directed except I didn't have any lemon rind so I just left it out. It was very easy to make - I whipped it up after dinner the other night and the smell was incredibly good. I did have to bake it longer than an hour (might be my oven). It's very moist and delicious. It keeps well in the refrigerator and I've been eating it every day (so much for my low carb diet!) I think I'll try it with walnuts next time and there will be a next time! This will be a great gift for next Christmas (I'll make small loaves) since it keeps so well. Thanks for the great recipe!
This review is from someone who will not eat a pear out of her hand, but because my husband loves them decided to try this bread (am addicted to this sort of treat). This is excellent, moist, flavorful and keeps well. Thanks for putting this where others can add it to their files.