Recipe by BonnieZ
Deliciously different party spread. For a healthier version, substitute cooking spray for the butter and fat free evaporated milk for the heavy cream.
Top Review by Midge Plourde
While this was a good spread, it lacked a little something in taste as we all found it a bit bland. I will make this again, but increase the amount of shallots to 2 tablespoons, and add some fresh garlic. Can't wait to make it again, and I will let you know if it turns out alright.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup coarse chopped toasted pecans, divided
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat and add mushrooms and shallot.
- Saute until shallot is tender and mushrooms give up their liquid.
- Stir in salt & pepper.
- Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the pecans.
- In blender or food processor blend remaining pecans until a paste is formed.
- Add the mushroom mixture, cream and madeira, blending until smooth.
- Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with reserved pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Serve with crackers, melba rounds or party rye.