Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Full of lovely pecans.
- 2 cups chopped pecan pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease muffin tin.
- Spread pecans out on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until uniform; set aside.
- In another larger bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten; then whisk in the brown sugar and maple syrup for about 2 minutes or until thick and pale brown.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Chop the cooled nuts and stir them into the batter; then stir in the flour mixture until incorporated (do not overmix).
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until tops are rounded and lightly browned and a pick comes out with a few crumbs attached.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool 10 minutes.
- Gently rock muffins back and forth to release and remove from tin.
- Cool muffins on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- •Pecan Cherry Muffins: add 2/3 cup dried cherries with the chopped pecans.
- •Pecan Cranberry Muffins: add 2/3 cup dried cranberries with the chopped pecans.
- •Pecan Peanut Butter Muffins: add 2/3 cup peanut butter chips with the chopped pecans.
- •Pecan Raisin Muffins: add 2/3 cup raisins with the chopped pecans.