Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from an old church cookbook of my Mother's from the 1940's. It's a delicious, chewy cookie.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted plain flour
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter or 1 1⁄4 cups margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Mix shortening and sugars, then add eggs.
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix together well.
- Mixture will be very stiff.
- Add coconut, pecans, oatmeal and vanilla.
- Roll into small balls the size of a walnut.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
My family enjoyed these cookies. They are a little on the sweet side. If I make them again I will put in a little less sugar. Thanks for sharing.