Recipe by threeovens
A lovely danish usually made for special occasions since it does take a lot of time to make (chilling). This recipe comes from "Cooks Country" magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, process brown sugar, pecans, and salt until pecans are coarsely ground; add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal; transfer to a bowl.
- Prepare the dough by adding flour, sugar, yeast, salt, butter and shortening to the food processor; pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal; transfer to another bowl.
- Stir in sour cream so that it forms a dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half; pat each half into a 7 in x 3 in rectangle.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes; place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove dough half from freezer and roll out to a 28 in x 5 in rectangle.
- Cover half the dough (lengthwise) with half the filling, then fold over and pinch edges to seal; shape into an oval by inserting ends into each other and pinching to seal.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 4 to 12 hours.
- Repeat with other half.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; brush each danish with the egg and bake until golden brown, about 40 to 50 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients and mix well.
- Drizzle glaze over danish and let set for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.