Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful cake recipe
Make and share this Pecan Fudge Ripple Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, divided use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided use
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 5 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Beat shortening at medium until fluffy; gradually add 1 1/2 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to shortening mixture, alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low after each addition until blended.
- Beat 3 more minutes at high speed, stopping once to scrape down sides. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Pour batter into prepared pans. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and cornstarch at medium until creamy.
- Gradually add sweetened condensed milk, beating well. Add 1 egg; beat well.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the frosting beat 2/3 cups butter at medium until creamy.
- Combine powdered sugar and 1 1/2 cups cocoa; add to butter alternately with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar mixture. Beat until spreading consistency.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
This is a very good cake, I can't believe I hadn't rated it before now, I originally made it for one of my Christmas 2009 desserts, it was a major hit. I had family and friends asking me for the recipe during dinner.
I made this cake for a family cookout today and it was a big success. I rate this cake a 10. Delicious!!