Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Every bite of these squares tempts with winning fruitcake flavors-candied fruit, brandy and crunchy nuts. This is from Chatelaine.com.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup rum (optional) or 1⁄4 cup brandy (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (I just use regular butter and decrease the salt.)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt (depending if using salted butter or unsalted)
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups pecan halves (or a combination) or 2 cups almonds (or a combination) or 2 cups walnuts (or a combination)
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit
- Place raisins and rum, (I use apricot brandy but any flavor would do) in a small microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute to warm raisins so they will soak up brandy.
- Stir, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, using electric mixer or spoon, beat butter with sugar until creamy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- In another bowl, use a fork to blend 2 1/4 cups flour with salt.
- Gradually stir into butter mixture (it will be dry) Press into ungreased 10X15-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake in center of oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Add corn syrup, brown sugar,and the last 2 tablespoons of flour; stir until mixed.
- Stir in raisins and any remaining brandy, nuts and candied fruit.
- Spread over partially baked warm crust, evenly distributing nuts and fruit.
- Bake in center of oven until it starts to set in the middle, from 20-25 minutes.
- I find 20-22 minutes is usually enough.
- Set pan on rack to cool, then cut into bars.
- Store in a covered container in a cool dry place, they will keep well for at least a week and can be frozen.
I just made these to add to my Christmas goodie plate. Before I stashed them away in the freezer though, My DH insisted on taste testing one. They got the thumbs up. Thanks for sharing.