Recipe by Juenessa
A zesty overnight French toast treat! There's orange juice and grated orange zest for a double dose of citrus.
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1 inch slices (1 pound)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, orange juice, milk, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Place bread slices in a tightly spaced single layer in the bottom of a flat dish or baking pan.
- Pour milk mixture over bread, cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a jelly roll pan, or rimmed baking sheet, evenly with the melted butter.
- Arrange soaked bread slices in a single layer on pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with orange peel and pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Check slices during last 10 minutes of baking time to avoid burning.
- **Cook time does not include overnight refrigeration.