Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
Filling for chocolate velvet cake from Southern Living
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk in pecans, butter, and vanilla. Place a sheet of wax paper directly on surface of mixture to prevent a film from forming; chill 4 hours.
- 3 cups.