Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have made this many times to serve on my baking tray for the holidays, and during the year also, they are the treats that always go the quickest! I can tell you, these are sooooo good! They have a delicious chewy topping with a flakey shortbread crust, just make certain to blend the crust ingredients in a processor only to assure a flakey crust. These can be made up to a week in advance, store in an airtight container. You can slice them right out of the pan, just omit using the foil, if you slice them very small, you should get anywhere from between 30-32 diamonds slices. I have even made these using chopped walnuts in place of pecans. Cooking time is for the crust and topping.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 4 cups chopped pecans (about 15 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides, then butter the foil.
- For the crust: in a food processor blend flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch and salt; process for a couple of seconds.
- Add in cold butter and process until the mixture begins to come together.
- Lightly press the mixture onto the bottom of prepared baking dish that has been lined with a foil overhang.
- Bake the crust for about 25 minutes, or until lightly golden (if you are not using the foil, then bake a little less time, watch closely not to overbake the crust!).
- Remove and let sit at room temperature while preparing the topping.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- To make the topping: In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils (about 1 minute).
- Add in chopped pecans and whipping cream; boil until the mixture thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Add in vanilla.
- Pour the hot topping over the warm crust.
- Return to oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the caramel is darker and is bubbling thickly.
- Cool COMPLETELY in the pan (the topping will harden upon sitting).
- Using the foil overhang, lift out of the pan onto a cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife cut into 1 x 1-inch diamonds or to desired size.