Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Christmas favorite.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon softened margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans
- Let cream cheese and margarine soften.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place in ungreased small muffin pans. Press dough on the bottom, and up the sides of the cup, forming a little crust in which one.
- Keep cool in fridge.
- Beat together egg, brown sugar, 1 tlbs margarine, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in nuts.
- Place about a teaspoon of nut mixture in the cups on top of the molded ball mixture.
- Bake at 325 for about 25 minutess.
- Cool before removing.
I think that a step is missing from this recipe. I think that the balls of cream cheese dough should be molded to form little crusts inside the muffin tins. I added this step in my prep and replaced the margarine with unsalted butter. I didn't consider the additional salt in the margarine and should have added a pinch of salt to my dough for enhanced flavor. Otherwise, this is a nice recipe for a simple basic. We all love pecan pie, and found these little treats to be a nice bite-sized version of that.
This recipe was easy to make and it tasted good. But when you pour the pecan mixture over the balls it runs down the sides and mine stuck to the pan. I would try to flatten them and push a bit of dough up the sides so there would be a cup to hold the mixture in.