Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is adapted from Rachael Ray. The chicken tenders are fabulous and the tangy maple dressing is to die for. I changed up the vegetables in the salad for my personal preference. Put whatever fruits and vegetables you like in your salad.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup pecans, processed in food processor to finely chop
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 orange, zested
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup tangy barbecue sauce
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- Heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches of oil over medium high heat. Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Set out 3 shallow dishes.
- Place flour in 1 dish, eggs beaten with a splash of water in a second. In the third dish, combine bread crumbs with ground pecans, nutmeg and orange zest.
- Coat tenders in batches in flour, then egg, then bread crumb mixture. Fry tenders in small batches 6 to 7 minutes. Drain tenders on paper towels.
- Combine maple syrup, barbecue sauce and orange juice in a bowl. Whisk in oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large salad bowl or on a serving platter. Toss with 3/4 of the dressing.
- Top salad with pecan crusted chicken tenders and drizzle remaining dressing over top.
I thought this was great. I followed the recipe except that I baked the chicken instead of frying it and added red pepper, celery & cucumber to the salad. Loved the flavours in the dressing. Am looking forward to having the leftover chicken for lunch. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing.
Interesting salad that is a great dinner salad and is also good cold. Thanks for sharing!