Recipe by KelBel
This is adapted from Rachael Ray. The chicken tenders are fabulous and the tangy maple dressing is to die for. I changed up the vegetables in the salad for my personal preference. Put whatever fruits and vegetables you like in your salad.
Top Review by Heydarl
I thought this was great. I followed the recipe except that I baked the chicken instead of frying it and added red pepper, celery & cucumber to the salad. Loved the flavours in the dressing. Am looking forward to having the leftover chicken for lunch. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup pecans, processed in food processor to finely chop
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 orange, zested
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup tangy barbecue sauce
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches of oil over medium high heat. Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Set out 3 shallow dishes.
- Place flour in 1 dish, eggs beaten with a splash of water in a second. In the third dish, combine bread crumbs with ground pecans, nutmeg and orange zest.
- Coat tenders in batches in flour, then egg, then bread crumb mixture. Fry tenders in small batches 6 to 7 minutes. Drain tenders on paper towels.
- Combine maple syrup, barbecue sauce and orange juice in a bowl. Whisk in oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large salad bowl or on a serving platter. Toss with 3/4 of the dressing.
- Top salad with pecan crusted chicken tenders and drizzle remaining dressing over top.