Recipe by PaulaG
This makes a very colorful presentation with the mixture of spinach and sun dried tomatoes. A wonderful meal for a nice romantic evening for 2. For the flavors to properly blend, it is important to allow this to sit in the refrigerator for several hours before cooking.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter or 1 -2 teaspoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄4 cups spinach, lightly packed
- 1 key lime, juice and zest
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (not oiled packed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- 2 -3 ounces gouda cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray or lightly oil.
- Place the chicken breast between wax paper or in a plastic bag and with a mallet pound to 1/4 inch thickness; set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine in a sauté pan and sauté the shallots and garlic until wilted and transparent, stir in the spinach, lime zest and juice, add the tomatoes and grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the spinach mixture between the 2 chicken breasts, cut the slice of cheese into 4 to 6 even strips, using 2 to 3 strips per breast, place on top of spinach mixture.
- Roll up chicken, starting at short end, tucking in ends as needed; secure with a toothpick; place on paper towels and pat dry.
- Place the pecans in a blender and grind until fine meal.
- In a pie plate or shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, pecans, grated Asiago cheese, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. In a second shallow dish, beat the egg white with water.
- Dip the chicken mixture into the egg white and then roll the chicken in the bread crumb mixture completely coating and pressing into mixture as needed; place breaded chicken rolls in prepared casserole dish.
- Cover the dish and place in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours; remove from refrigerator and preheat oven to 375 degrees, uncover and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Slice chicken rolls into even slices and arrange on serving plate.