Recipe by Sharlene~W
This chicken is nice and crunchy with just a tiny little bite from the cayenne. Enjoy it alone, topped with honey-mustard dressing or atop a salad (See Salad Greens With Honey-Mustard Dressing). Cooking time includes the 20-30 minutes chicken dries between breading and cooking. This recipe is from Cuisine at Home magazine.
Top Review by Sue P.
My family loved this recipe. They thought this was very flavorful. There qas just the right amount of cayenne pepper and paprika to give it a kick but not overpowering. The crust stayed on during the cooking process and the chicken was very moist. Will definitely make again.
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6-8 ounce)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Bread Crumb Mixture
- 1 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare chicken breasts into cutlets, cutting into thirds and gently pounding to an even thickness of 1/2 inch (easier and cleaner if done between two layers of plastic wrap).
- Blend egg whites, cornstarch, and lemon juice with a fork in a wide, shallow dish; set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, zest, pecans, and seasonings in another wide shallow dish.
- Crust chicken breasts by dipping both sides of prepared chicken into egg white mixture. Then applying crumbs to both sides, patting them on as much as possible. Transfer to a cookie rack to air-dry on both sides for 20-30 minutes. (This will set crust so it will stay on chicken and crisp up nicely).
- Sauté chicken in oil in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on bottom. Turn carefully with a spatula and transfer the skillet to the oven to finish cooking. This should take about 8 more minutes. Don't overcook, you don't want it to dry out.