Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Based on a copycat recipe, modified for our tastes. I loved this as a kid. Today all that is missing is a prize, but heck, who needs a plastic ring anyway?
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 250ºF .
- Combine popcorn and pecans in a metal bowl or on a cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat, bringing mixture to a boil.
- Using a cooking thermometer, bring mixture to a hard-ball stage - 260 degrees (syrup will form a hard, but workable, ball if dripped into cold water).
- This will take about 20 minutes or until you notice the mixture turning dark brown.
- Remove popcorn and pecans from the oven. Working quickly, drizzle the caramel mixture stream over them.
- Put mixture back in the oven for 15 minutes and stir well every five minutes to ensure even coating.
- Cool and store in a covered container.