Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I use homemade cornbread using a mix for this since it is less sweet then the shop bought. Make sure you taste the mixture before you add the salt, since the stock already contains a lot of salt already. I like to use vegetarian chicken stock for this, but you can use whatever flavor you prefer.
- 15 ounces cornbread
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 leek
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 vegetarian chicken stock cube
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 spring onions
- 2 ounces pecans
- Turn the oven to 325F and place pecans and cornbread (cubed) on a tray for around 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove and allow to cool. When cool you can easily break the pecans into half.
- Melt the butter on medium heat in a large wok and add chopped celery, leeks, and spring onions.
- Allow to cook whilst stirring until they soften and begin to turn a little golden.
- Add the cornbread and pecans, toss the mixture.
- Dissolve the stock in the hot water and pour over the cornbread.
- Mix the stuffing, the cornbread pieces will start to break down now. Taste the mixture and then add salt and pepper, adjust to personal taste.
- Let the mixture cool down before putting into a baking dish. This can be made the day before and put in the fridge.
- Bake at 325F for 40-45 minutes.