Recipe by Lainey6605
Finely-chopped pecans coat thick slices of challah or French bread and it is all topped with a delicious raspberry-strawberry sauce. It's like eating dessert for breakfast! Yummy! So easy to make and tastes great. Made for RSC #11 contest.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Now, I ask you (actually, I'm telling you!), how much better can a breakfast be than when eating this ABSOLUTELY GREAT FRENCH TOAST! Definitely a keeper, especially for when those special guests wake up in the morning! Thanks so much for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (or frozen strawberries, sliced)
- 3 cups pecans, very finely chopped
- 4 large eggs (or eggs substitute)
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 slices French bread (1-inch thick slices) or 8 slices challah (1-inch thick slices)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, heat the preserves and 1/4 cup water over medium heat.
- Stir in the strawberries and heat for a minute or two and remove from heat.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the pecans and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add the bread and soak until saturated.
- In batches, transfer the bread to the pecans, heavily coating each slice.
- In large, heavy skillet, melt 2 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Working in batches, add the pecan-coated bread and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.
- Serve warm with the raspberry-strawberry sauce.
- Sift confectioners' sugar over toast.
- Serve immediately.