Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Makes 1 loaf of bread or 1 dozen muffins. Cook time is for muffins. Cook time for bread has been corrected from 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour.
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, carrots, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix thoroughly, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix just until blended (do NOT over mix).
- For bread: Spoon batter into a greased 8.5x4.5" loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F until dark golden brown (about 1 hours).
- For muffins: Spoon batter into greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 350F until golden brown (about 45 minutes).
Great flavor and turned out moist. I used walnuts instead of pecans though, as that is what I had on hand, but otherwise made as written. I did the loaf version, but looking forward to making muffins next time.
A very easy and tasty bread. I made mine with a few changes, based on personal preferences and what I had on hand. Like Boomette, I used all-purpose flour only; used walnuts instead of pecans; white sugar instead of brown; and oil instead of butter. The bread browned nicely and developed that classic quick-bread "crack" along the top -- simply beautiful! The texture, though, was a little strange to me... the top was very crumbly, and the bread itself seemed moist but managed to dry my mouth out anyway. The flavor was fantastic, though! I will have to try this again when I have actual bread flour in the house, and see what a differene that might make.
I used only all purpose flour. I used Splenda instead of brown sugar. That's maybe why the bread isn't dark (but the taste is amazing). I used pecans mmmmmmm I didn't use nutmeg but used cardamom. Instead of butter, I used oil with applesauce. The mixture was too dry so I added applesauce and milk.