Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful dessert cookie with some ice cream. Don't be discouraged by this recipy. It is worth the time and effort. I haven't come across anyone who likes pecans and doesn't like this recipy. It came from a Martha Stewart magazine. Cook time does not include cooling of crust or finished cookie.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 10x15 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Toast pecans until fragrant.
- Cool and chop roughly, set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, add flour and mix just until combined.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden 10-12 min.
- Cool on rack.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan combine 4 cups of sugar, cream of tartar, salt, and water.
- Cook over high heat wihout stirring until tome sugar begins to melt and turn golden (2-5 min).
- Reduce heat to medium, cook stirring occasionally until all sugar is melted.
- It sould be a deep golden color (candy thermometer reading 300F).
- While stirring pour cream slowly down the side of the pan.
- When the cream is mixed remove pan from heat and add pecans.
- Pour carmel filling over the shortbread crust and return to oven for about 12 min.
- until caramel is a little darker color, turning the pan halfway during cooking (for even browning).
- Cool on wire rack and cut into bars or 1x3 inch"fingers".