Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from 'Baking and Desserts' cook book - Tasty Tip ; Any type of nut can be used in this recipe. Why not try replacing the pecans with a variety of chopped walnuts, almonds and brazil nuts.
- 125 g butter, softened
- 29.58 ml peanut butter, smooth
- 75 g sugar, caster
- 75 g cornflour
- 175 g flour, plain
- 200 g sugar, caster
- 125 g butter
- 29.58 ml golden syrup
- 75 g liquid glucose
- 75 ml water
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk (can)
- 175 g pecans, roughly chopped
- 75 g chocolate, plain dark
- 14.79 ml butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 10 minutes before baking. Lightly oil and line an 18 cm x 28 cm tin with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Cream together the 125 g butter, peanut butter 75 g caster sugar until light. Sift in the cornflour and flour together and mix in to make a smooth dough.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until just golden. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile for the topping, combine the 200 g caster sugar, 125 g butter, golden syrup, glucose, water and milk in a heavy based saucepan.
- Stir constantly over a low heat without boiling until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat, boil steadily, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes until the mixture turns a golden caramel colour.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the pecans. Pour over the shortbread base immediately. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put into a heatproof bowl with the 1 tbsp butter.
- Place over a saucepan of barely simmering water, ensuring that the bowl does not come into contact with the water. Leave until melted, then stir together well.
- Remove the shortbread from the refrigeratror and pour the chocolate evenly over the top, spreading thinly to cover. Leave to set, cut into squares and serve.