Prep 3 hrs
Cook 10 mins
These are so good, abit time consuming but well worth it. Recipe does not double well. While one batch is chilling I start the next batch.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water stir in egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla.
- Blend into flour mixture.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400' degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until foamy gradually add sugar beat until stiff.
- Fold in nuts and almond extract.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- On a board sprinkled with powdered sugar roll each out into 9 inch circles.
- Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Spread 1 heaping teaspoonful meringue on each.
- Roll up beginning at wide end.
- Bake on lightly greased baking sheet.
- 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool Roll in powdered sugar.
Made these for Christmas, everyone loved them. Wished I had made more. Next year I will. Then again maybe I'll make some for Easter Brunch. Thanks for sharing.
My grandma used to make these...they called them idiot cookies, because anyone who would take the time to make 'em was an idiot....recipe is dead on...