Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
A fall favorite with a healthier twist ;) Just like Peanut Brittle but w/ Pecans. Also good w/ Almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a medium size heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
- Boil without stirring 5 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches 310 degrees.
- Add pecans, and cook 2 - 3 more minutes or to 280°F (mixture should be golden brown).
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter and remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture onto a metal surface or onto a shallow pan.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes or until hardened.
- Break into pieces.
- * If you'd like you can also add popcorn.
- Prepare brittle as directed.
- Stir in 1 cup popped popcorn before pouring into pan.
Yummy! It made a beautiful shiny finish for the candy. I cooled the brittle in a non-stick pan and needed no foil or oil or anything to release the candy after it cooled. I toasted the pecans before adding to the mix. I like this version of brittle better than the recipes that call for water. Those seem to help you avoid burning the sugar better, but this pure sugar mix is faster and tastier. I would use this recipe again.