Recipe by grandma2969
These have a buttery shortbread crust and a pecan studded brown sugar topping..then garnished with more pecans and some chocolate morsels.
Top Review by FloridaFoodFan
These bars are incredible! Absolutely the best cookie bar I've ever had. I haven't made them myself, yet. My mother-in-law found this recipe in our local newspaper and made them for us. SOOOOOO GOOD!!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon light cream, plus more if needed
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously grease a 13x9 baking pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Using fork, a pastry blender, or fingertips, cut in butter until the mixture is the onsidtency of fine meal.
- Sprinkle the cream over the flour mixture. Lightly stir to mix. Gently knead until the mixture hold together. If necessary, add up to 3 tsps more cream until the mixture holds together but it is not wet.
- Alternatively, in a food processor, process the dry ingredients and the butter in an off/on butter in pulses until mixture is similiar to coarse meals, do not over process.add 1 Tbsp cream, a little at a time and process in off/on pulses until mixtue begins to hold together; add just enough more cream so the mixture hold together is not wet.
- Firmly press the dough in an even layer into the baking pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes or just tinged with brown at the edges. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until cooled to room temperature about 5 minutes.
- Spread pecans in a medium baking pan.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup and cream.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and 2 1/4 cups of the pecans.
- Sspread topping evenly over the crust.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-24 minutes or until the topping is bubbly, golden brown and just slightly darker at the edges.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until cooled to warm. Sprinkle the chocolate morsels evenly over the top.
- Let stand until the morsels melt, then using a table knife, spread melted chocolate over the topping. It will not completely cover the topping, sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of pecans over the chocolate.
- Let stand until cooled to barely warm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the slab into 32 bars, wipe knife clean between cuts.
- Let stand until completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months.
- If freezing, leave the slab whole, then cut into bars when partially thawed.