Recipe by Barb G.
These buttery bars are an easy to make sweet treat. Great for gifts or to enjoy anytime.
Top Review by thecatergator
I can't believe no one has rated this recipe, it is excellent! 5 Stars plus! What I do differently: change pecans to premium salted mixed nuts (no peanuts and I pick out Brazil nuts), change honey to light Karo syrup or a mix of half honey and half light Karo syrup. On the second bake time, bake only 15 minutes and then lift this out of pan with the foil "handles." Cut off about 1 inch all around the bars and set aside. Put the rest of the uncut bars (the center) back into the pan using the foil to lift it by and bake the addition 10 minutes. I didn't do this the first time and the edges were rock hard. Even with having to play around with the 2nd bake time to get it perfect, it is still a 5 star recipe that you should try.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, for baking
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut up (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup brown sugar Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 1⁄2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped (about 12-ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare crust: Grease 13 by 9 inch metal baking pan; line pan with foil, extending foil over short ends; lightly grease foil;(OR line pan with release foil,(nonstick foil,but do-not grease.).
- On wax paper or in bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, and shortening, on medium speed 2 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
- Reduce speed to low, gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture into prepared pan; with fingertips, press dough evenly onto bottom of pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned; remove from oven; place on wire rack.
- Prepare pecan topping: In a 2-quart saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, honey, and sugar; heat to boiling over mediun-high heat; stir in pecans and cream.
- Pour hot topping over warm crust; Return pan to oven; Bake 25 minutes or until top bubbles slightly in center.
- Cool pan on wire rack: When cool tannsfer foil to cutting board; carefully pull off foil from sides.
- Cut lenghtwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 12 bars, you should have 48 bars, enjoy.
- Store bars in tightly covered container, with wax paper between layers, at room temperature up to 1 week or in freezer up to 3 months.