Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Such a wonderful change from the old marshmellow recipe. The potatoes actually rise when baking making them light and fluffy. You can top them with just the apples, just the pecans, or both. It's best using fresh sweet pototoes. The canned still tastes good, but the color is not as orange.
- 7 -8 yams
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 apples, peeled, sliced thin
- Wash and prick potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- cool. Peel the skin off and discard.
- Put the potatoes and the first 4 ingredients into a bowl. Using a mixer, mix until blended. Pour pototoes into one large casserole dish or two medium sized.
- Melt 4 T. butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a sauce pan.
- Add the apples and saute until light brown - 10 minutes.(skip this step if you're only using pecans).
- Add the flour and pecans.
- Pour on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.