Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can use any kind of nuts in the topping of this crisp, although pecans go so nicely with apples. Walnuts or sliced almonds would also be good choices. Courtesy of Diana's Desserts June 13, 2003.
- 6 large firm baking apples, peeled cored. quartered and sliced 1/2-inch thick. (McIntosh, Granny Smith or Fujis)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pecans, toasted & coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheatoven to 350°F.
- Butter a deep 2-quart or 9x13" baking dish.
- Place the sliced apples in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Toss well.
- Blend flour, both sugars, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg in a food processor until well combined.
- Add butter and blend until mixture forms large clumps.
- Transfer to a bowl and work in pecans with your fingertips.
- Pour sliced apples into prepared baking dish.
- Spread the topping mixture over apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and the topping is browned.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.