Pecan and Poppy Seed Caramel Slice
- Lightly grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Place flour, coconut, butter, sugar, vanilla and poppy seeds in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Press mixture over base of prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, to make caramel, combine condensed milk, butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and vanilla in a medium pan. Stir over heat until butter and sugar are dissolved. Bring to boil then simmer, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until mixture turns light golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in rind and nuts.
- Pour hot caramel over hot base, tilting pan to spread evenly to edges.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Remove and cool in pan.
- To serve, turn out slice onto a chopping board. Cut into small squares.