Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Have been making this slice for years. One of those family recipes that has always seemed to have been around. Great for lunches.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup unsweetened crushed canned pineapple, drained well
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- Combine flour and sugar in bowl.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in pecans.
- Press 2 cups of the mixture into a greased slice tray.
- Blend together baking soda, cinnamon, egg, sour crem and vanilla.
- Add to remaining mixture combining well.
- Stir in well drained pineapple and sultanas.
- Spread mixture over the base.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 35 minutes or until cooked when tested.
- Cool in pan before cutting into squares.
The flavour of these was good. When baked the slices were about 1/14" to 1 1/2" think. You didn't specify a pan size. I googled slice tray and they come in different sizes. I put in a request for anyone who could give me a pan size. No one was sure. I used an 8"X11" pan but it took an extra 15 minutes to bake. I think a pan about 9 1/2" X 13 1/2" would have been better. It would be helpful if you could put pan sizes in your recipes.Thanks.