Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An all-purpose salsa from Chile. Posted for ZWT7
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped, small dice
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 236.59 ml cilantro, chopped (coriander leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green chilies (if not chunky chilli paste, preferably from Chile) or 29.58 ml Tabasco sauce
- 14.79 ml white vinegar
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl and refrigerate.
- If you want to minimize the "bite" of the raw onion -sprinkle the finely diced with salt and let them sit for a few minutes. Then press them gently in a sieve and rinse them well in running water.
- Will keep refrigerated for three or four days.
Absolutely loved this! Very similar to Pico de Gallo, except that this one has lemon juice/vinegar combo instead of lime. Made for ZWT 7
This salsa is wonderful! I much prefer raw salsa over cooked salsa any day of the week. Since this salsa calls for a nice bunch of cilantro, I knew I had to give it a try. I am so glad I did. The flavor is so fresh, and no one ingredient over powers the other. I did use fresh chili peppers, and cut back on the olive oil by 1 Tbs. and it came out perfect. We used the salsa with blue corn chips and to top Peter J's Mexican Chicken. I will be using the left over to top some baked potatoes tomorrow...unless I just eat it with a spoon instead. I will definitely keep this recipe on hand. Thanks for sharing **Jubes** Made and reviewed for the AUS/NZ Swap #53