Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I never used to make bread because I thought it took lots of time and kneading. I was so impressed by how little time this recipe takes - it's ideal to make whilst you attend to lots of other stuff or just relax at home, as most of the time it takes is just waiting for the mixture to rise or when it's in the oven - that I've never brought bread since. If I forget the bread pot is outside in the sun rising it's ok, it just tastes a little different if I've over-done or under-done the rising time. It's a very forgiving recipe! Can add interest to the mix by adding roasted almonds or fried onions etc. after the first rising. Easy to make into a sweet bread by adding more sugar and maybe dried fruit or bananas.
- 5 cups organic brown flour
- 3 teaspoons dried bread yeast
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- warm water (these are all guesstimates as I never measure the ingredients, so it never comes out tasting exactl)
- mix all the dry ingredients together in a large metal pot (needs to have a fitting lid, dry ingredients need to come up to less than a third of the height of the pot).
- add olive oil and mix.
- add enough warm water to mix into a soft spoonable consistency- this is what is so easy about this bread: no kneading, just mix with a wooden spoon.
- if it´s too liquid, add a little more flour.
- it should stick to the spoon, but be easy enough to mix.
- Put lid on pan and put in a warm place to rise.
- I put it out in the sun on a warm day, or in the oven with a candle if it´s cold outside.
- When the mixture has doubled in volume, spoon mixture into two oven-dishes which you´ve oiled and floured(to make non-stick).
- Let these rise again in a warm place.
- When they've doubled in volume again, turn oven on and place inside at medium high temperature until you can smell bread-smell!
- About 45 minutes, but depends how high your oven is.
- Tap top of bread with a knife.
- If it sounds hollow turn oven off and leave breads inside until oven has cooled down (I leave them overnight).